Friday, May 29, 2009

[ac-i] MinYak June 2009



QUESTIONTIME

 
 

For this episode of our online keyboard kinetics, we connect with the latest addition to the Seminyak's art-scene. Kendra Gallery's sprightly new talent-scout, Kim Randall, gives her take on the art world's current condition, strategies of the discerning eye and Bali's talented future...


MY: So Kim, how did you first find yourself drawn to this island's hypnotic flame?
KR: I've been drawn to Bali since the first time I visited in 93...always knew I'd come back here to live and just like that...it happened.

MY: Were you always involved with art, or the appreciation of it, from a young age?
KR: I have always appreciated art, beginning with my love of ancient arts, I wanted to be an archaeologist when I was 9....and interior architecture which I studied, and then my interests developed into contemporary art. What draws me about it most isn't just aesthetics or technique, I like how an artist's work makes me contemplate...intellectually and emotionally.

MY: Was there a critical point where you realised this was your destiny, a chosen path, or just what you really wanted to do?
KR: I just always wanted to do something that stimulated and inspired me and this turned out to be it.

MY: What are the main challenges of being a high-end gallery curator?
KR: In Bali, I would say it would be attracting the appreciation. As it is a tourist destination, people here are pretty transient and, as someone who is so enthusiastic about art that I love, I want the rest of the world to know about it...  A lot of people don't even know that there is a contemporary art scene in Indonesia. When people come to Kendra, I would say they are pleasantly surprised and impressed at the works that we are showing.  

MY: How do you compare the issues, politics, and delicacies of Bali's art-scene versus London or elsewhere?
KR: Bali has an established art community and with that comes the same sorts of issues and politics that comes when you deal with creative people. What I find perplexing is the way the contemporary art market is as a whole in South East Asia, as well as Indonesia. It's very new in the history of art markets and I find that it is more unpredictable that the market in the West.  


MY: How do you see the current world art-climate in Asia and beyond? Is it getting hotter?
KR: I read a very encouraging art review just yesterday where a painting by Chinese artist Sanyu fetched a record US$ 5.4 million at a Hong Kong auction, so I'd say it is getting warmer. Or perhaps people are just investing more wisely in works they are buying and not just speculating on artists. They're going for works that are actually good and worth it.  

MY: What's the funniest thing you've seen happen or been a part of at a show opening?
KR: The only openings that I remember are the ones that I've done where things have gone wrong. Sense of humour failures, very funny in hindsight! The strangest one I've ever been to was in London where they was an installation playing music through vegetables....mostly root vegetables. It was so very odd to me and I just didn't get it!

MY: Despite your recent arrival to the island, who do you see so far as visionary vanguards in Bali and Indonesia at large?
KR: I have my personal favourites, at the moment, Christine Ay Tjoe, very progressive; Tisna Sanjaya (whose new works I am showing in July) and Nyoman Wijaya, who is actually my next exhibition in a couple of weeks.

MY: What do you enjoy most about life in Bali?
KR: What I enjoy about Bali IS 'life in Bali'...I just enjoy my whole 'life' here. I love the pace, when I'm not on a deadline ;)...I love that I live five minutes from the ocean... I love that I've met some wonderful people here that seem to be on my wavelength! It's the only place I can think of right now where I want my family to be.

MY: And least?
KR: The only thing that Bali is lacking for me would be that I wish sometimes are all the people I miss in London weren't so far away. If they were around, Bali would be as perfect as any place ever could be.

MY: What do you most enjoy doing to unwind and clear your mind?
KR: I'm a very social person, to un-wind, I like to socialize....to clear my mind, I walk on the beach....

MY: What's your dream? Professional, personal or otherwise?
KR: I'm not much of a dreamer, I believe that if I really want something to happen, I make it happen. I live my life trying to do the best that I can do for myself, my family and the gallery so I suppose I am living my dreams....and truly blessed!

Thanks so much for your time online, Kim!
Keep rocking and see you soon for the next art-happening in The Yak!

LUBRICATE SOMEONE'S lifestyle...
send MinYak to a friend!

 THISMONTH'SMOSTWANTED

No one escapes the race to save the planet! Not even Apple. Which is why we like this iPod dock made entirely from salvaged materials  - a wooden music dock with holes drilled in it to make space for the speakers, etc. Ecofriend & Minimazine http://freshome.com

 NEWINTHEHOOD

Babylondon Released
Seminyak's very own East-West musical duo Cozi and Gus Till of Zen Lemonade have just released their latest album, Babylondon. Returning to their trademark concoction of Dub, Blues, sweeping tech-vocals and Balinese percussions, this spaced-out outing includes the talents of Bali's trumpet prince Rio Sidiq, New York's MC Solomon along with the veteran guitar fingers of Steve Hillage and Tim Valkenburg for a tour-de-chill, Bali-transplant-style. Whether you live here, or just want some portable Bali-izms to take back home, this downtempo delivery deserves your ear-time. For online downloads and distribution details check out
www.beatport.com/en-US/html/content/release/detail/171020/Babylondon
www.myspace.com/zenlemonade &  www.electronicsoundscapes.com
 
 
ENVY Restaurant & Beach Lounge
The new Baruna Holiday Inn recently touched down on Tuban's sleepy beach, and after 6 deadly sinful marketing mysteries, Envy, their newly finished restaurant and beach-lounge has begun to give South Kuta beach an upgrade. With fresh signature cocktails, art-deco influences and permanent beach lounges, this latest addition offers a sublime beach-retreat that takes no notice of the planes beyond descending in the distance. Perfect for sunsets and Sundays, the vibe here is relaxed and delicious. For reservations call 752 527.
Jl. Wana Segara 33, Tuban. www.envy-bali.com


SKINORGANIC in Ubud
Jl. Goetama sees the opening of a boutique nail and beauty bar called Skin Organic. Fresh is the buzz word with oils and scrubs blended daily for the massages and facials. Pedicures and manicures use environmentally friendly enamels and varnishes and then there is the waxing...all at affordable prices and so much closer than Seminyak!. Hallelujah. Tel. 975 615


 THISMONTH'S...PURRRFECTGETAWAY

Fresh from the oven comes the latest apartment/hotel complex in our own backyard, The Haven, providing a sanctuary that brings together contemporary design, tropical landscaping and personal service. And of course it's walking distance to Bali's hippest night spots, boutiques, restaurants and, oh yes, the beach. www.thehavenbali.com

 DATESWITHDESTINY

Every Thursday, Friday & Saturday – Sunset Jazz at Ma Joly Restaurant & Bar – Enjoy the selection of new flavors by Chef Eelke Plasmeijer and romantic live Jazz sessions 6 till 9pm on the beach. reservations@ma-joly.com Jl. Wana Segara, Tuban. Tel: 753 780
 
Until June  5th
Sign Session Exhibition of Paintings & Installations by Ida Bagus Putu Purwa at Tonyraka Art Gallery, curated by Arif Bagus Prasetyo. Open Daily 9AM to 5PM. Tel: 781 6785. Jl. Raya Mas #86 Mas, Ubud
 
3 Private Showing - The Works of Young Inspiring Balinese Artists at The Shanti Residence. Opening Reception at 5pm. Jl. Gunung Payung, Desa Sawangan, Nusa Dua.
Tel: 734 656

5
Cooluv Series presents Saharadja at Hu'u Bar featuring Seminyak's best-loved World Music ensemble. From 10pm till 12am. Jl. Petitenget, Seminyak. info@huubali.com or call 736 574 for bookings.
 
6
The Nikko Bali's 4th Annual Open Golf Tournament at Bali Golf & Country Club Nusa Dua. Registration 11am onwards Tee Time: 1pm. Rp.1,400K Entry. Please contact Mr. Taufik - Tel: 773 377 SMS: 792 2640

6
Guest Chef Alicia Tivey at Indus Restaurant – Make a date with your someone special to enjoy a 3-course selection of Tasmania's finest culinary offerings hot off the trails of Sydney's Tetsuya resto fame. For more info and bookings please contact info@ubudwritersfestival.com Tel: 780 8932 Jl. Raya Sanggingan, Ubud

6 – AS.SENT: Solo Exhibition by Nyoman Wijaya at Kendra Gallery - Curated by Rizki A. Zaelani. 7pm – 9pm for Opening reception.  Jl. Drupadi #88B, Basangkasa, Seminyak.T: 736 628  www.kendragallery.com

 
7
Ubud Full Moon Festival at The Mansion featuring Balinese parades, Dance & Gamelan performances, Full Moon Spa, Yoga & Wellness. Jl. Penestanan, Sayan, Ubud. Tel: 972 616 or info@themansionbali.com
 
9
Global Beat Exhibition by Mami Yano at Kamandalu Resort & Spa – Don't miss these visiting visions from one of Japan's best-loved contemporary painters. For more info please contact Vincentia at marcom@kamandaluresort.com Jl. Tagallalang, Banjar Nagi, Ubud. Tel: 975 825
 
11
Childhood Memories, Everyday Objects at Ganesha Gallery featuring the works of Uuk Paramahita and I Gede Pande Paramartha. Opening Reception from 6.30 to 8pm. Ganesha Gallery, Four Seasons Resort, Jimbaran Bay. Show runs until April 13. T: 0361 701 010
 
12, 13 & 14
Lady Pirates of the Carribean A UNICEF Benefit Show at The Aston Hotel Ballroom - featuring the smash hit musical for kids, about kids, by kids at Bali School of Dramatic Arts. For ticket info please contact info@balisoda.com or call 434 701 / 0818 0435 2772. Aston Denpasar Hotel & Convention Center, Jl. Raya Gatot Subroto #283 Denpasar
 
13
Bali Arts Festival XXXI – Don't miss Bali's biggest cultural celebration of the year at Taman Budaya Arts Center featuring traditional talents young and old from across the island. Renon. For all info, schedules and locations please go to www.baliartsfestival.com
 
19 Sentosa Resort's 3rd Birthday Bash in 3D! Set your phazers on funk and tighten your space-goggles for a futuristic celebration of Sentosa's third cosmic cycle. Batteries not included. For ticket info please contact polly@balisentosa.com
 
20
Torbreck Wine Dinner at The Legian featuring a luxurious selection of flavors to enjoy together under the stars. Rp. I,500K – Seats are limited. For reservations please call 730 622. Jl. Laksmana, Seminyak
 
21
Father's Day Daddy Pampering at Bali Deli – with dear-daddy-discounts on wine, colognes and the Sunday barbeque at Le Spot. Jl.Kunti 117X, Seminyak  Tel: 738 686 / 738 688
 
28
The 3rd Annual MRA International Triathlon at Jimbaran Bay with top athletes from across Indonesia and around the world, battling the clock, their bodies and each other. Beach market and food tents await the weary in the shade. For registration and more info contact Andreas Kansil at andreas@balidiscovery.com Tel: 286 283
 

The MinYak is databased & delivered monthly by Pro Motion Events. www.pro-motion-events.com
 


Mulai chatting dengan teman di Yahoo! Pingbox baru sekarang!!
Membuat tempat chat pribadi di blog Anda sekarang sangatlah mudah

No comments:

Post a Comment